Tuesday 14 February 2017

DIARY OF A PRECLINICAL MEDICAL STUDENT

2014; though gone, but it was definitely the rate limiting year of my medical training. Reason : It was the year I wrote the second Professional Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS  PART 2 ) examination in Anatomy, Physiology & Medical biochemistry. Failing all three or

two courses in the first attempt leads to the withdrawal of one from medical school.

Here is a fact file of event in the year;

JANUARY: The preclinical arm of my medical school (College of Health sciences, Ebonyi State University, Abakiliki, Nigeria) runs 4 semesters on the courses to be taken in the MBBS PART 2 exam.

Returning from a 6 months strike by our lecturers, we faced the greatest reality of the year. We took 4 regions (Thorax, Abdomen, Pelvis and Perineum) of Human body in gross anatomy. I was shocked to my spine on hearing the news.

FEBRUARY: Rumors about the proposed date of the exam started poking the ears of those that have ‘long legs’. Some said October, others said July.  Who cares? October or July, I was quietly preparing. I became a regular face at Night class. My life became a triangle. From Hostel to church and then to Library.

MARCH: Coming out of the hall after writing the last in course assessment test, many of my classmates wore gloomy face. Trust Nigeria lecturers they tested us on what they didn't teach.

"That you were not taught is not an excuse, you have the textbooks. Were you waiting for us to tell you when to read them. Go and prepare the main exam or be ready for a surprise " exclaimed one of the lecturers. Mogbe!!... Surprise ni..This is not  MTN surprise.  Your surprise package could be having to resit the exam, repeat the year or worst shown the way out of medical school. How will I tell my parents if I got any of those  surprise?. I remember my mother is no longer Mama Chukwudi. No. Her name changed when I got admitted into Medical School.. She is now addressed as Mama Doctor by her friends. She would half smile whenever they call her that name. I knew I had to study. if for nothing but to ensure she is still being called that name.

My  preparation tactics changed. I started attending

fellowships more often, sow seeds in church, left my  girlfriends and even as far as switching my phones during some hours of the day so as not to be disturbed.

APRIL: Vasogenic warm shock hit me this month. The bullet was released. Timetable for the exam out. . Mock test May 12th. Main exam June 9th. My heart was in my mouth. Goose pimples were competing for space to sprout on my skin. Senior colleagues assured us that we would be given  three months to prepare for the exam after the final in course assessment. But that was not the case.

Basically, I was hypertensive throughout April. It has happened. I was always trembling while reading. whenever I see my classmates discussing what I have not read (trust me they know how to do this perfectly) I would be lost in thought. This is medical school. We don't play here. My classmates would willingly use what they have read to intimidate me. God be with you if you have not read that part of the book. The experience is better imagined than experienced. As though that is not enough, my roommates in 100 level will start discussing the areas I have not read. When I look oblivious , his reply: ‘don’t worry, you don’t need it. You know you are too big to fail’. I started dry fasting by force, remembering God how many years I have spent so

far in the medical school (4years) and that I can’t afford to fail else my mother's name will return to mama Chukwudi.

MAY: This month came and left unplanned. Themorning of the day I was to commence my mock exam with Medical biochemistry was very scary. Imagine, I still have two regions untouched. I have not eaten, am trembling and time is ticking very fast. From this month till when the exams ended, time was no longer my friend. However, the month left unplanned because I was thinking the ‘almighty’ 2ND MBBS Exam which was going to be a die-hard thing . The exam was even easier  than some in course assessment I had written in medical biochemistry.

The other two courses (physiology and anatomy)

went just fine.

JUNE: This month was more spiritual than Ithought. I started praying against the spirit ofoverconfidence, gleaning my weaknesstogether and converting them into a stronghold. I devoted more time to the things that matters most which I had neglected before(Discussion sessions, night classes and tutorials).I prayed as if it depended on it(always going to the school football

field by 12am and praying till dawn; making earnest heartfelt prayers) and also read as if it depended on it(reading from dusk till dawn). I must confess, I didn’t read all and acknowledged that I cannot read all. Some of my classmates took their toothbrush and dentals stuff to class even as far as squatting with some friends in the school hostel all in the name of ‘MTN wide coverage’-trying to be amaster of all. The exams came and left well, as

planned.

JULY: This month came with great trepidation of heart. This month, we will be appearing for the oral examinations(viva voce) and also results will be released. It was my best month ever in 2014 and also the worst, because it created an indelible mark in my heart. On the eight day of this month, I appeared for the viva in the three departments and I was happy when the external examiner in Anatomy  from the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH) told me that I have been invited for a Distinction viva, making it the best month  of the year.

I prepared earnestly that night, buttressing on the areas she tested me on. I never knew  I was taking the wrong course. The next day I appeared for the distinction viva.  She immediately gave me a warm smile and motherly words, reminding me that I shouldn’t be tense because I have already been awarded the

distinction stressing that the entourage confronting me was just protocol. The questions came in friendly for about 10minutes, then she unleashed her vastknowledge of anatomy on me, testing me on gross anatomy(muscles of the layers of the foot precisely)  which she didn't test me on the previous day.

I was quivering, my heart was racing and I had the urge to urinate. She asked me to leave and in that very moment I dawned on me that I had lost the award, making this month the worst and creating an indelible dent in my fragile heart. Results were to be released at the close of office that day 4pm. My colleagues and I left the  room by 3:30pm and headed to the notice board. By then,  we all have developed cold feet and

hands and also a visible, palpable tachycardia. For me they were caused by my poor performance in

medical biochemistry both in the mock andviva. Results were finally released and I was very happy, yet sad. I was happy because I passed but sad because I lost the distinction award. The month ended with happiness, freedom and holiday.

AUGUST: This month was filled with extracurricular however, it was almost spoilt when the clinical arm of my medical school summoned us for clinical orientation on the eighteenth day August. But it was postponed so enjoyment galore continued. I travelled to delta, Lagos and Abia state. I made new friends from within and outside the country and started reading willfully. I also wanted to invest on my physique so I met some nutritionist and was placed on a regime which didn’t last long, because I craved for immediate gratification-wanting to get results immediately.

SEPTEMBER: I got tired of the holiday. I started gearing up for resumption and I noticed some little gain in weight. I was happy.

OCTOBER: This month went well too but the holiday was getting more annoying.

NOVEMBER: This month was superb because aclassmate tied the knots and we resumed school officially.

DECEMBER: It went well with academic stuff and personal life. Although, I had a an emotional and traumatizing encounter specifically on the 7th . I have longed moved on with life and left my the past behind me.

In all; God, hard work and persistence helped me scaled through the year and helped me achieved my basic goals for the year. Yes, I lost the distinction award which was a big blow but am stronger. It thought me a lesson-‘’DON'T COUNT YOUR CHICKS BEFORE THEY  HATCH’’. I relented by not doing a little revision on those areas the external examiner tested me on. That changed my story for the year. However, l am very much grateful to God for helping me pass the 2ND MBBS examination, particularly Medical Biochemistry.

By

Chukwudi Agbor.

Department of Medicine,

Federal Teaching Hospital (FETHA),

 Abakiliki, Nigeria.

Featured post

THE EVIL BABY FACTORIES DO

That I will maintain this sacred trust holding myself afar, aloof from wrong, from corrupting, from tempting others to crime.” The forego...